Being an iconic shoe brand, Rothy is all set to wander into the new manufacturing and development process of handbags by recycling ocean plastic waste.
The stunning women flat shoes’ brand, Rothy have been working on designing soles for the feet through a single continuous yarn acquired through recycled plastic water bottles. And again the brand is not failing to surprise us.
Very recently, Rothy unveiled on the expansion of the market base of creating a sustainable product with new challenges in hand. The next challenge is using plastic waste that is littering the ocean. Commenced in 2012 in San Francisco, Roth Martin is the founder of the iconic brand. The new challenge would be to make use of the ocean plastic waste to create handbags.
Process of Creating Handbags Through Ocean Waste –
- With the same knitting technology, the yarn for making bags is a mixed process. It is a fusion of water-bottle yarn and recycled plastic. The materials are collected from the coastlines and marine environments.
- The sustainable handbags are environment-friendly priced between $65 to $350. In addition to this, the bags are washable and come in different variants.
- Martin stated that the bags are specifically designed through their machines and manufacturing process with the use of post-consumer waste.
- The 3D-knit machines have been channeled to curate the specific sizes and the entire processing of the same, in a single process. The procedure further helps in reducing waste through omitting unwanted yarn and fabric.
- Speaking about Rothy’s profitability, an assessment of nearly 1 million pairs of shoes were sold in 2018. And all the shoes were made of discarded water bottles.
Renewable Source –
Sustainability of machine-washable shoes has gained more popularity through online platforms. The brand has recycled more than 50 million plastic water bottles by making shoes. The brand also has its “Sustainable Factory” in China producing recycled products.
Right from the beginning, Rothy has been among the first companies to adopt sustainability as their main aim. The use of recycled ocean waste has been a new challenge to the brand with the idea of setting an example as well as influencing others on proper manufacturing and management.