Broward County will have to stop the formulation of recycling the paper waste due to the degrading of paper quality
8 out of 10 people in Broward County need to stop recycling paper waste. This is because the public is littering the environment with too much garbage. The city of Broward at a time could not conduct recycling processes properly. The waste management process ended up with “mixed-paper”. The mixed paper includes all sorts of paper.
Environmental groups went against the Waste Management organization with a message of understanding the procedure before giving up on recycling completely. Nearly 14 Broward cities have been entitled with a notice regarding the halt of creating paper products beginning from 1st August 2020.
Due to the transforming conditions in the market, the notice states that those recycled paper products should not be resold for now. The cities need to implement the change in the pricing structure as per the current marketing conditions.
Why such a decision?
- Broward has nearly 2 million people, where most of the people are putting their waste into the recycling bin. This serves for an enlarged contamination rate, reaching up to 30 percent.
- What mainly happens is that the paper waste that could be easily repurposed is getting mixed with other solid waste in the market. And that mixed waste is reaching the landfills, polluting the environment.
- Broward has been failing to find the best quality of the mixed paper due to higher contamination. Unless that is taken care of, proper waste management techniques will be in vain.
- Last winter, nearly 400 bales of mixed paper were found to be of poor quality. Rather than implementing the best use for recycling of the paper waste, they were burnt.
In comparison to 2017, the recycling income of the companies in Broward has diminished by nearly $90 million. Due to this, the group for Waste Management is associating with the local government to come to a proper conclusion.
It started by finding an apt step towards an efficient recycling process.
Waste Management is the largest recycling processing organization operating in more than 30 states. One of the associates of the company stated that the recycling market is declining, they have restricted the use of mixed paper.
What is the condition in other countries?
- On the other hand, the recycling process in Miami-Dade will continue with mixed-paper recycling due to no restriction of paper waste recycling.
- Palm Beach Country will also not restrict paper recycling. Rather people segregate paper from other waste for an enhanced initiative.
- China after banning the import of poor quality waste, the recycling market has degraded a lot. In the official website of Waste Management, it is quoted as “always working for a sustainable tomorrow”. That means the platform or organization will showcase the right venture to recycling opportunities.
Who is getting affected the most?
The notice period on the cities of Broward related to mixed paper recycling will come to effect from 1st August. Their cities listed are Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Lighthouse Point, Margate, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea; Lauderhill, Coral Springs, North Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Pembroke Park, Coconut Creek, Tamarac, Wilton ManorsThe other remaining cities served by Waste Management organization will continue the recycling process.